Agilent 1100 Problems

Chromatography Forum: LC Archives: Agilent 1100 Problems
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By msuxg on Friday, June 15, 2001 - 07:02 am:

Dear Forum,

I've recently purchased 2 brand new Agilent 1100 machines, using Chemstation software revision A.08.03. I understand that this version is only about 6 months old.

I've been having quite a few problems with the software, with it occasionally crashing in the middle of a sequence, causing a Windows General Protection Fault.

Does anyone else have this problem? Any other problems encountered on this software version? I haven't got far with Agilent Tech Support.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Anonymous on Friday, June 15, 2001 - 11:53 am:

We have 50+ 1100 Chemstations, reloading the software usually fixes this problem.
P.S.: Have Agilent do it, this should be covered under warranty service.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By msuxg on Monday, June 18, 2001 - 12:41 am:

Thanks for your message Anon.

We reloaded the software, with an Agilent engineer on the phone guiding us through (even though we were under warranty, they still wanted to charge us for sending an engineer out), we put the first run on overnight, and lo and behold - a Window General Protection Fault caused by HPCORE!

It seems their software is a mite unstable.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Anonymous on Monday, June 18, 2001 - 06:49 am:

Version 8.03 is not a good version. The
engineer for Agilent that generally works on
our 1100s told us not to install it. See if they
can send you 8.01 or 7.02. They say that 8.01
is the best, but I have found the least number
of problems, particulary core errors with 7.02.

Also, do you have and LC/MS or just LC? We
have an LC/MS that kept having core errors,
and it turned out that a control board in the MS
was bad and was sending out signals that
crashed the computer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Beppe on Monday, June 18, 2001 - 08:02 am:

8.03 is the first version that was developped to enable "Security Pack" in conjunction with ChemStore, so there is some complexity added.
If you are not working with ChemStore and Security Pack, you can try going back to 8.01.
Also make sure you are using Windows NT 4.0 Service Pack 6a (at least); if you have upgraded (or need to upgrade) your service pack, it is better to install a second time the SP upgrade after installing ChemStation.
We have 18 ChemStations running 8.03 since last august and have only a very few core errors.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By KAF on Monday, June 18, 2001 - 08:05 am:

I've an Agilent HPLC/MS/MS with the Chemstation software revision 8.03.
I also have problems with the control system and sometimes I have to reset all the informatic system.
Do you know if I can change the version to a 8.01

Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By msuxg on Tuesday, June 19, 2001 - 02:46 am:

Many thanks to you all.

Anonymous: We tried asking for an older software version, but they won't give it to us! We only have LC - no MS.

Beppe: Can't go back to 8.01, we never had it in the first place!

KAF: I suspect that if you don't have the install disks for 8.01, then you can't. What do you mean by 'reset all the informatic system' please?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By CLM on Tuesday, June 19, 2001 - 03:20 am:

We have had Agilent 1100 Series LCs for several years. The original software and systems used to crash constantly - HPCORE shutdowns. One of the problems was insufficient memory - we now have about double the recommended. Also, we recently upgraded all of our computers that run the software to HP Kayak computers and since we have installed the 8.03 software we have had mininmal troubles.

Hope this helps

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By KAF on Tuesday, June 19, 2001 - 06:16 am:

hi msuxg:

As I said I have an HPLC/MSD. The computer controls the vacum pumps and then when I have core errors I have to use a software program to close the programs without shutting down the pumps.

Sorry for my english expression !!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Anonymous on Tuesday, June 19, 2001 - 07:34 am:

We have many 1100 systems and two things that resulted in crashes are low memory (as described above) and also low hard drive space. We have found that if there is less than 1 gig of open hard drive space, the system will likely crash. I have been running the new version on a 800mHz system with gobs of memory and an 8gb partition that I keep wide open for new data. I have not had a single crash in 6 mos. Finally, if your system resources are not optimal, definately do not multitask.

Hope this helps

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Tom M. on Tuesday, June 19, 2001 - 03:43 pm:

I don't know if this is related, but earlier versions of ChemStation had memory leaks associated with print processes. So if you processed some data and printed sequence summary reports, then started an analysis and printed individual chromatograms sometimes the memory leaks would accumulate and crash the system. For a while we stopped printing during acquisition and restarted the systems often. Most of these leaks were fixed somewhere around A.06.03.

It definitely sounds like some sort of memory leak has been re-introduced. Contact Agilent, they might have a handle on the problem and be able to tell you which process has a memory leak. If not, your IT group might be able to find the problem by monitoring system resources while you bang on ChemStation. If it is a memory leak then more memory will delay the crash but not prevent it. If you are on NT and behind a firewall I would use the last service pack that ChemStation has been tested against.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Anonymous on Wednesday, June 20, 2001 - 07:11 am:

I have run version A.06.04 on a 400MHz HP Kayak with Win NT for two years with hardly any problems. When I expressed interest at upgrading the software to version A.08.0x I was told by an Agilent engineer that it was not worth me upgrading as there are very few differences between A.06 and A.08 appart from support for newer modules). I have also been told that version A.09 will be released soon.
I did have an unrelated computer problem that required re-installation of all the software on the hard drive. Msuxg is correct, unless you specifically ask for software support (I was quoted at ~400 pounds sterling per year). They charge you to send out an engineer if there are any problems with any software on the computer (including OS). Phone support seems to be available for only the first year unless you negotiate with Agilent.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.