Pulsed Discharge Detector

Chromatography Forum: GC Archives: Pulsed Discharge Detector
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Paul Adams on Tuesday, July 18, 2000 - 07:51 am:

Does anyone have experience with the Valco Pulsed Discharge Detector? I'm most interested in any use of the helium photoionization mode for hydrocarbons and/or fixed gases. Is it as linear as claimed and as sensitive? Pros? Cons?
thanks in advance for any replies

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Spencer on Friday, January 26, 2001 - 05:49 pm:

I don't know what its claimed linearity is, but in my experience, this detector has a linear dynamic range of at least 4 to 5 orders of magnitude. However, I've never done a comprehensive study. As far as sensitivity goes, I've have determined componenents down to about 30 ppb (injected solution) with splitless injection. Pros, it is a universal detector that is extremely sensitive. Cons, it will really tell how clean your gases are. Also, it probably doesn't make a good detector for above single digit weight percent determinations. This detector's sensitivity is somewhat dependent on how far you insert your column; you can empirically determine what works best. You want to use a discharge gas flow of about 40 mL/min to keep the analyte away from the discharge to prevent discharge electrode contamination.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.