Relative response factors for HC's using GC-FID

Chromatography Forum: GC Archives: Relative response factors for HC's using GC-FID
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Gordon Murchie on Wednesday, October 25, 2000 - 11:50 am:

I have been searching for a table of relative response factors for light hydrocarbons using a GC-FID. I have been unable to locate one but I'm sure one exists as I have seen one in the past. Does anyone know where I might be able to locate such a table??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By jclark on Wednesday, October 25, 2000 - 12:27 pm:

There is an old GC handbook published by HP. I'm sorry, I can't recall the title. In it were "theoretical FID response factors." I believe the reference was benzene which was assigned a value of 1. I think these are what you are looking for.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By John Hinshaw on Wednesday, October 25, 2000 - 02:57 pm:

See Harold M. McNair and James M. Miller, "Basic Gas Chromatography" (Wiley, 1998, ISBN 0-471-17261-8), Table 7.2, page 114. The book is available from Amazon or can be ordered from most major bookstores.

John Hinshaw

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Les on Friday, November 3, 2000 - 07:05 pm:

Response factors:

Fi=[((Caw*Cn)+(Haw*Hn))/Cn]* 0.7487/Caw
Caw=atomic wght Carbon 12.011
Cn=number of carbon atoms
Haw=atomic wght Hydrogen 1.008
Hn=number of hydrogen
0.7487 corrects the response of methane to unity
methane will be considered to have a unity (1) response factor.
example:
Propane MW 44 - 3 carbon: 8 hydrogen
Fi=0.916

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Les on Friday, November 3, 2000 - 07:16 pm:

The formula for response factors comes from:
J.T. Scanlon and D.E. Willis. The calculation of FID relative response factors using the effective carbon number concept. In Journal of Chromtographic Science. Preston publications, 23: 333-340.

I wouldn't want anyone to think I thought of this on my own....yeah right!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By walter on Thursday, February 1, 2001 - 12:12 pm:

Dietz published a fairly comprehensive list of relative response factors in J of GC Feb 1967. Carson and Lege also published several papers in the 70s, usually in the Journal of chromatographic Science. These values were determined by experiments.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Terry Daigle on Tuesday, April 24, 2001 - 05:21 pm:

Establishing your own response factors would probably not be a bad idea, since all instruments and configurations are unique in there own sense.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.