Temperature Verification of Injector/Detector

Chromatography Forum: GC Archives: Temperature Verification of Injector/Detector
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Anonymous on Tuesday, October 31, 2000 - 01:42 am:

Has anyone attempted to verify the temperatures of the injector and detector on an HP5890. We have used Type K probes and have got consistent temperatures, but especially on the detector, they are no where near the set point. I'm not sure if it's just where the probes are positioned (I set them where the temperature was highest and tried to maximise contact with the wall of the injector/detector).

Has anyone had similar problems, or is this a case of calling the ole engineers in again...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Anonymous on Tuesday, October 31, 2000 - 06:33 am:

There are temperature gradients in every GC injector and detector. You would have to know the exact factory procedure to "verify" the temperature of the injector and detector. Good luck getting that information out of Agilent.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Anonymous on Tuesday, November 7, 2000 - 09:22 am:

You would have to place your probe (linked to a calibrated thermocouple)in the same place as Agilent use to measure the injector/detector temperature. I guess these are buried somewhere inside the heating blocks so the chances are you will not be able to do this. Also these systems are open to the environment and so there will definitely be temp gradients (i.e. these systems are very dynamic unlike an enclosed system such as a GC oven which will give values closer to the programmed value). They are also subject to the temp. of the oven which can be a lot lower in temp than the detector. If you can show that your methods are very robust and will provide adequate chromatography over a wide injector/detector temp range, then you can set wide acceptance criteria which you should be able to meet. As for getting the info out of Agilent - no problem if you know the right people and have a good relationship with them.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.