GC of elemental halogens

Chromatography Forum: GC Archives: GC of elemental halogens
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Harold Edelstein on Sunday, January 14, 2001 - 01:33 pm:

I would like to know if anyone has a method (column, conditions, etc.) to determine elemental Iodine from a dlute solution in carbon tet or any extraction solvent which would keep the elemental form intact. Which is more sensitive, TCD or FID(MDL)? If this direct method has it's drawbacks, does anyone know of a coreactive substrate which would react with I2 at a ppb level and give a separate iodinated new derivitive? I once did ppb Cl2 determinations with phenol and obtained good results as a Trichlorophenol peak. Any suggestions for Iodine? I will try phenol and other substituted aromatics of the correct Hammett type. Perhaps you already know the best one now. Thanks. Harold Edelstein. E-mail: TSVIHESH@EROLS.COM.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Ron on Monday, January 15, 2001 - 08:02 am:

An ECD would be a much more sensitive detector for iodine than the TCD or FID. I did try to run elemental iodine once to try to replicate a reported problem with a procedure. It has been a few years, but if my memory is correct a DB-5 column at 40C was used. I could run iodine using a Hall type detector, however the person who developed the method was seriously overloading the ECD using a headspace method, and would not change parameters.

Good luck.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.