Capillary Column Protection & Regeneration

Chromatography Forum: GC Archives: Capillary Column Protection & Regeneration
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Venkitesh on Thursday, January 18, 2001 - 12:16 am:

Could somebody say how long a capillary column can stay without carrier gas in hot condition. I think I lost a polyehtylene glycol column at a temperature of 70deg Cwhen it was without carrier gas for 10 minutes. Is there a way to salvage the column

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By jclark on Thursday, January 18, 2001 - 05:10 am:

I don't think your column is necessarily trashed if it is a bonded PEG phase. Try doing a bake-out. Disconnect it from the detector, establish good carrier gas flow and run a gentle temperature gradient up to the maximum temperature of the column. Leave it at that temperature for a few hours. You may lose a little retention and a few theoretical plates but the column should be OK.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Venkitesh on Thursday, January 18, 2001 - 08:45 pm:

Thanks for the info, I will try that. The column is actually W COT Fused Silica CP - Wax 52 CB from Chrompack

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.