Gas generators

Chromatography Forum: GC Archives: Gas generators
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By chris knutsen on Tuesday, January 23, 2001 - 05:53 am:

does anyone have any experience with hydrogen generators for gas chromatography systems. There are a number out there and I am interested in getting one. Any help is appreciated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By RJG on Tuesday, January 23, 2001 - 09:29 am:

I have used the Balston/Whatman Hydrogen Generator and was very please with it's operation for GC/FID. It performed as advertised.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Mike on Thursday, January 25, 2001 - 01:17 am:

My vote is also for the Whatman. We have had four Whatman generators for two years and no problems so far. Out of two Air Products/Packard generators we operated, one developed a leak through a small plastic part. The agent took 5 weeks to repair and no temporary replacement was offered. We have since made it a condition of sale that when repairs cannot be made on site we must have a replacement within 3 days during the warranty period. After that we have a maintenance and callout contract with Perkin-Elmer. Reliability is very important to us. Our local rules do not allow temporary backup hydrogen cylinders in the lab if a generator fails.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Rolandas on Friday, January 26, 2001 - 12:16 am:

One of my colleagues had new Whatman generator several years ago (model not in production anymore, I was told)- electrolytic cell was ruined after about 6 month of use, it had to be replaced. I use in my lab Domnick Hunter UHP125 for over 2 years and I'm fully satisfied.
I also don't like generators in which you must use (and change once in a while) electrolyte solution (as in Whatman generators). I prefer cells with solid electolyte - you only add water all the time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Ian Dale on Friday, January 26, 2001 - 09:07 am:

Try the Peak HG units from peak scientific on www.peakscientific.com.
If you are interested in a refurbished unit, drop me an e-mail.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Anonymous on Wednesday, February 7, 2001 - 09:37 am:

I totally agree with Rolandas. The systems that require expensive electrolyte solution are very problematic (I threw two in the dumpster). I hear the solid electrolyte is a vast improvement, but I'm still a little leary. The ROI is a bit of a tough sell. The safety factor helps drive the decision.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Roderick on Friday, February 9, 2001 - 01:45 pm:

I'm with RJG & Mike we've got (6) Whatman hydrogen generators in our (2) labs. We added our first in 1994 and have never looked back.They just sit in the corner and do their thing.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.