Methylation of sec. amine

Chromatography Forum: GC Archives: Methylation of sec. amine
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Anonymous on Thursday, January 25, 2001 - 09:30 am:

for a experiment i want to methylate a sec. amine. anybody has any idea how or where to find this sort of info on the web (very interested in the answer to the latest question)
thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By bill tindall on Friday, January 26, 2001 - 10:04 am:

do you want a quantitative reaction, that is, to do a derivatization, or do you just want to make some? I don't think there is a simple quantitative reaction. If you just want to make some, methyl sulfate or methyl iodide will do it, but you will also make some of the quat. salt.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Anonymous on Saturday, January 27, 2001 - 04:54 am:

well, we think we see a metabolite of a drug. Msn-analisys points towards this. we like to confirm by making the methyl-ester. i tried to heat with MeI but this did not work.
thsanks for your iterest.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Anonymous on Saturday, January 27, 2001 - 09:10 am:

methyl ester of an amine with MeI? I must be missing something?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Tom M. on Monday, January 29, 2001 - 05:00 pm:

You could try the Eschweilier-Clark reaction, a reductive amination:

your compound + formaldehyde + formic acid heated to 100C should proceed to greater than 90% yield

The formic acid will be oxidized to carbon dioxide and an immonium ion intermediate will be reduced. If all else fails find an organic chemist not a chromatographer :0)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.