Review of Perkin Elmer G.C

Chromatography Forum: GC Archives: Review of Perkin Elmer G.C
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By sirrundmc on Sunday, February 11, 2001 - 08:15 pm:

I am looking at purchasing G.C.'s from Perkin
Elmer. Namely their AutoSystem XL with
autosampler, and turbochrom workstation.
I was wondering if anybody had any good or
negative opinions on this system. I know
about Agilent but I was looking to see about
going a different way. Our system is pretty
simple. FID detector with DB-1 columns. Our
operation is simple resolution with quantative
results. No research, but analytical analysis
in a plant enviroment.
Feedback on the pros and cons or just simple
recommendation would be most appreciated.
I have already ruled out Varian because their
system are to complex for the type of
technicians that will be working with the
software. That leave Agilent and Perkin Elmer.
Thanks for all of your help.

sirrundmc

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By jclark on Monday, February 12, 2001 - 05:13 am:

I had a PE system such as you describe and found it to meet my research needs in every respect.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Beppe on Monday, February 12, 2001 - 08:41 am:

If you are looking for a simple single column GC, the new Agilent 6850 should be less expensive than the AutoSystem XL. As you need a simplified software, the 6850 may come either with ChemStation Companion or the new Cerity for QA/QC.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Anonymous on Monday, February 12, 2001 - 02:32 pm:

Don't rule out Shimadzu. The GC-14 is designed for simple applications.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Anonymous on Tuesday, February 13, 2001 - 07:03 am:

My choice would be the Agilent. I loath our PE Autosystem. I need a cheat sheet everytime I want to turn off the TCD. I actually had to get the manual out. The 5890's, TCD - OFF/ON. It doesn't get any better than that.
FID's atleast in my model have plastic parts..PU
I have had problems with the electronics cooling system, the PC fan has died. The heat sensor turns the system off during operation when the room temp gets too hot. Yes, I work in a sh-t hole of a lab.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By chris knutsen on Tuesday, February 13, 2001 - 09:04 am:

I have a perkin-elmer autosystem (not the xl-an earlier version). I have had no trouble with teaching technicians how to use it. The Turbochrome software is a nice package. If you are in the pharmaceutical industry you should investigate 21CFR PArt 11 issues before you decide on chromatography software. All in all, I am quite happy with PE. I think that you will find that there are two camps on this issue-people who like Agilent and not PE and vice-versa. I had more problems with an HP than I ever had with PE. Actually, they are both well-recognized systems and you would probably be happy with either.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Anonymous on Wednesday, February 14, 2001 - 11:02 am:

You basically can't go wrong with either PE, Agilent, or Shimadzu. All are good instruments. More importantly, I would suggest you look into, is the level of service you can expect to receive post purchase. Talk to you local colleagues and get some feed back on what level of service they receive on service calls and their overall satisfaction.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.