Traps?

Chromatography Forum: GC Archives: Traps?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By zhenzhong on Friday, March 16, 2001 - 09:54 am:

We have a HP 6890+FID,which will be used to seperate alkylation products(C4-C12).The carrier gas is Helium. We plan to install some traps on the gas lines(N2,H2,He,hydrocarbon...),but I have no experience about these. Anyone can tell me what kind of trap should we use?Or recommend me a book or site for reference.Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By anonymous on Saturday, March 17, 2001 - 07:13 am:

The type of trap(s) you need depend on the quality of the gas you are using. My experience has been the better the quality of gas, the less you need to rely on traps. However, since you are looking for alkylation products, using a good quality hydrocarbon trap would be good insurance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Gerard on Monday, April 16, 2001 - 01:05 am:

I would suggest that you should:
1. Use High Purity Helium and the 3 traps, namely Moisure, Oxygen and Activated Charcoal to be installed upstream of GC.
2. Use Zero Air generator (from Whatman) for the Air used in FID this can help to remove traces of Hydrocarban present in Air. A good baseline zero acertained.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Mark on Wednesday, April 18, 2001 - 11:33 am:

No matter what purity of gas you buy, you will run into contaminations. I would suggest the following traps... From your Helium Tank place a Moisture Trap, high capacity Hydrocarbon Trap and then if your column is oxygen sensitive a high capicity oxygen trap followed by an indicating oxygen trap. What ever traps you decide to buy, make sure you have an indicating trap as one of the last traps. When you indicating trap expires, then you should replace all traps as a safety.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Mark T on Friday, May 4, 2001 - 06:46 am:

Try www.restekcorp.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By lpun on Tuesday, June 8, 2004 - 12:39 pm:

What GC column could be used to determine moisture in Acetone?

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.