Preperative GC Seperations

Chromatography Forum: GC Archives: Preperative GC Seperations
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By steve s. on Thursday, April 26, 2001 - 01:07 pm:

We have a client who wants to seperate an amine mixture. They need macroscale work, ie. to collect approximately 100ul fractions of detected peaks by possibly TCD detection. They wish to run an NMR for identification purposes, they already have GC-MS and GC-FTIR data. They have a half liter of substance. If you can help post number and i will call.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By chris knutsen on Friday, April 27, 2001 - 02:55 am:

Hi Steve: I can't help you, except with this suggestion.

A number of years ago, I had a friend who worked in a food flavors lab. They had a GC that had a splitter attached to the column at the detector end. The splitter brought some of the carrier gas (if I remember right, about 90% to a port on the outside of the GC. They would watch the chromatogram develop and just before the peak of interest came out, they would put in a small glass capillary tube that had a U-shape bent into it. This U section was put in a dry-ice methanol bath. When the peak finished coming out of the detector, as shown on the chromatogram, they would remove the tube and fire-seal the ends. They then repeated the process over and over. They ended up with a bunch of glass capillary tubes, each of which ccontained small quantities of the analytes of interest. They then combined these fractions for further analysis.

Perhaps, with this knowledge, you may have some idea where to turn.

Good Luck
Chris Knutsen
973-227-6882 ext 529

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.