Volatile organic compunds with small amounts of Hydrochloric Acid

Chromatography Forum: GC Archives: Volatile organic compunds with small amounts of Hydrochloric Acid
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Michael Messerschmidt on Monday, May 7, 2001 - 07:53 am:

I Wish to analyse organic samples (normally prepared with 2,4 Dinitrophenylhydrazin for HPLC) with GC, too. Unfortunately they contain small amounts of HCL.
Any suggestions which column/columns are usable for this?

Sample contains mainly Propanol and other alcohols in range C3 to C7.

Thanks for Helping me

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By tdaigle on Sunday, May 13, 2001 - 07:42 pm:

are you using puge an trap for the analysis?
If so you should have no problems as far as the GC or column go. But you will run in to an increase in routine maintenance of the autosampler and concentrator, since both come in physical contact with the acid.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Bruno on Monday, May 14, 2001 - 07:37 am:

If you have not purge and trap system, you can also run your sample with SPME and GC. You have to choose your SPME fiber (polar fiber for alcohols).
Do not hesitate to contact me for more info.
info@bpchimiste.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Ron on Monday, May 14, 2001 - 08:33 am:

The simplest way to analyze underivatized alchols is by headspace. Manual headspace will be fine for a small number of samples. If the alcohols are present at high concentration the analysis can probably be done at ambient temperature. With headspace, especially at ambient temperature, very little of the HCl will be introduced into the GC system.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.