Analysis of H2, O2, CO2 and H2S

Chromatography Forum: GC Archives: Analysis of H2, O2, CO2 and H2S
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Tony Herlt on Tuesday, May 8, 2001 - 10:22 pm:

Would anyone know if H2, O2, CO2 and H2S in a mixture can be analysed on a single GC column, or if not a method for separating all four of them?

I would think H2 and O2 could be separated on a mol sieve type column and CO2 and H2S on a Q type organic polymer phase, but this of course requires 2 columns.

TIA,

Tony

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Mike on Wednesday, May 9, 2001 - 01:02 am:

The J&W/Agilent GasPro column comes close, but unless you have subambient cooling the hydrogen/oxygen separation is probably not good enough. There are GasPro test chromatograms at http://www.chem.agilent.com/scripts/PDS.asp?lPage=1269. The refinery gas sample illustrated has an initial hold of -80c but the H2/O2 separation is so complete that much higher initial temperatures must be OK. It's worth an enquiry to see if it's possible at 25-30C if you don't have subambient.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By John on Friday, May 11, 2001 - 09:46 am:

I dont have a column suggestion but to have a system suggestion. SRI Instruments, manufacturers of a line of full-featured portable GC, makes a unit they call the Multi-Gas #1 + Sulfur. This is a pre-configured GC which is set-up to do this very analysis WITHOUT the need for any cryogenics. The GC has a TCD, FID, FID/FPD and methanizer. It uses a silica gel and molecular sieve packed columns connected in series. With some clever valve switching, you can get nice separations of fixed gases, sulfur and hydrocarbons up to about C8. This system will detect the sulfur down to mid ppb levels. Feel free to contact me if you want more information.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Anonymous on Wednesday, April 7, 2004 - 02:30 am:

kindly send me information regarding colums for analysing O2, CO2 and ethylene and detectors for them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Gus on Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 09:21 pm:

We are using Shimadzu CR501 for C1-C7 gas
samples. Sometimes we have sour (H2S)
samples and we determine H2S by titration.
On the chromatogram there is peak , of
course it is H2S. When I puted the area from
GC and %of H2s from titration into graph -it is
linear with Coefficient of correaltion (Pearson)
0.9997... something like that. Does anyone
have experience determining H2S by
Shimadzu CR501?

Thanks
Gus

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.