Looking For GC Capillary column for analysis of ethanol in pharmaceuticals

Chromatography Forum: GC Archives: Looking For GC Capillary column for analysis of ethanol in pharmaceuticals
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Tony Coskey on Tuesday, July 10, 2001 - 12:29 am:

I have recently read an article pertaining to a new HP capillary gas chromatography column called a HP Blood Analysis Column that was specifically designed for DIU (Driving Under The Influence of alcohol) samples. I would like to know if there is anything simular to this available for pharmaceutical syrup,elixer etc. samples containing ethanol. I prefer to make on column injections (not headspace) and work in the 0.025 mg/ml range.

Thanking you in anticipation

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Ron on Tuesday, July 10, 2001 - 05:43 am:

You might have trouble since USP specifies specific columns for the analysis of certain products. The column you mention as well as the similar phases from Restek are very good for alcohol analysis, but there may be regulatory, not technical issues.

I would use headspace. Direct injection of syrups, elixars, etc. will load a significant amount of non-volatile material on the column, adversely affecting chromatography and column life. Liquid autosamplers from Shimadzu and Agilent (and maybe others) can do an ambient headspace injection from a 2 mL vial, which works well for the alcohols.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Anonymous on Tuesday, July 10, 2001 - 08:35 am:

My company uses capillary GC to determine ethanol level in hand sanitizer gels over 60% ethanol. We use a procedure very very much like AOAC Official Method 973.23, Official Methods of Analysis of AOAC International, 16th edition, 36.1.01, except adapted to a 15 m x 0.53 mm Nukol poly(ethylene oxide) fused silica capillary column with 0.5u film thickness (Supelco #2-5326). We use n-propyl alcohol internal standard, made up in water, dispense that onto the sample previously weighed into a 40 ml vial, cap, shake, transfer to autosampler vial, etc.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.