Quantification of Hydrogen in the presence of hydrocarbons

Chromatography Forum: GC Archives: Quantification of Hydrogen in the presence of hydrocarbons
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By John Carlow on Friday, August 3, 2001 - 03:24 am:

Does anyone have any experience in quantifying hydrogen in the presence of hydrocarbons?

I believe that a carrier gas should be Ar or N2 rather than helium and that back flushing of the column to clean it after sampling takes rather a long time. Anyone with any experience of doing this?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By RBora on Thursday, August 9, 2001 - 08:37 am:

I use a 5A MolSieve column with N2 carrier gas on a TCD to separate H2 and He from hydrocarbons. The system is set up for backflushing to avoid waiting for hydrocarbon elution and oven cooldown.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Bruce Freeman on Friday, August 10, 2001 - 11:05 am:

The system described by RBora will probably work fine. I only want to point out that the backflushing is probably for more reasons than just saving time (which it will do, however). Unless 5A molecular dieve has changed in the past 20 years, it will irrevesably adsorb many substances. Backflushing will keep the hydrocarbons off the molecular sieve column, protecting the column.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By John Carlow on Monday, August 13, 2001 - 08:13 am:

Many thanks to RBora and Bruce for your suggestions regarding the quantification of hydrogen.
Our GC has now just irreversibly failed, does anyone know where I can hire one in the UK quickly?

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.