Typical sensitivity for pesticides of FPD detector

Chromatography Forum: GC Archives: Typical sensitivity for pesticides of FPD detector
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Carlos Romero on Thursday, November 8, 2001 - 08:01 am:

Dear All
I have to work with a FPD (flame photometric detector) to anlyse parathion.
Can you give me an idea of the typical sensitivities for this detector with pesticides.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Anonymous on Thursday, November 8, 2001 - 08:29 am:

Most organophosphorus pesticides are approximately 10% phosphorus. The majority of FPDs are speced at about 1 pg/sec detection limit. Assuming a 5 sec peak width, you should be able to detect parathion at approximately 50 pg on column, or 50 ppb with a 1 uL injection. The peaks at this level will probably be too small for reliable quantitation, so the minimum quantitation limit will probably be 3 to 5 times higher than the detection limit. This is just a rough estimate, and I have tried to be very conservative. Remember that there is a compound dependance on response with the FPD, so the parathion may not give as large a response as the compound used to determine sensitivity. If your FPD is speced higher or lower than 1 pg/sec, you can adjust the values above to refine the estimate.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Carlos Romero on Wednesday, November 14, 2001 - 03:42 pm:

Thanks for your advise

Was very useful as a string point

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.