TCD condensation

Chromatography Forum: GC Archives: TCD condensation
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Les on Monday, November 12, 2001 - 05:34 pm:

I've installed a new HP6890 for D3606 Benzene in Gasoline. This is not a complicated analysis. Sample injected to a 0.5 m methyl silicon and before benzene, backflushed to a @5m TCEP column. However, I seem to be having condensation problems at the TCD vent. After running 5-10 samples, the TCD gets noisy. Looking into the vent, I can actually see bubbling. With the use of a slim piece of paper towel, I can remove the liquid and the noise.
The inlet 200 the oven 145 the detector 250. The method calls for a detector 200, but I raised to see if this would eliminate the condensation.
Has anybody run across this type of problem. The liquid looks and feels like oils.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Rodney George on Tuesday, November 13, 2001 - 08:03 am:

It would appear your backflush is blocked or is not working properly. Check the timing and the flow through the BF vent. Make sure your column connections are in the proper position on your BF valve and the valve is working properly.

Rodney George
Senior Research Chemist
Gas Separations Research
Supelco
595 North Harrison Road
Bellefonte, PA 16823

814-359-5737 voice
814-359-5702 fax
rgeorge@sial.com

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.