P5 vs N2 for ECDs

Chromatography Forum: GC Archives: P5 vs N2 for ECDs
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By craig on Wednesday, December 19, 2001 - 11:50 am:

Can anyone explain the main differences between P% and N2 as make-up gases for ECDs? I have always used P5, but the bean counters want to switch me to N2. I know what the manuals say, that P5 is more linear, and N2 has more sensitiviyt, but I was wondering if anyone has any real world experience. Also, how hard is it to switch a method from one to the other.
Thanks in advance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Ron on Thursday, December 20, 2001 - 06:36 am:

I have always used N2 with ECDs with no problems. You need a high purity N2 with the proper gas purifiers to get the best results with N2. If the purity of the N2 is not high enough the baseline will be high and noisy, causing a loss of sensitivity. I don't think that there would be much difficulty switching from one to the other as long as you have high purity gas.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By LABMANAGER on Friday, December 21, 2001 - 12:58 pm:

I've found no significant sensitivity difference between P5 and N2. I've always opted to use P5 for the simple reason that it makes a nice pretty baseline. Don't sweat using N2 it will work fine. No Method modifications are necessary.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.