Is there a required gas purity for proper PFPD use?

Chromatography Forum: GC Archives: Is there a required gas purity for proper PFPD use?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Mike R. on Friday, March 8, 2002 - 01:23 pm:

Our lab is considering the purchase of a Varian PFPD (Pulsed Flame Photometric Detector) for one of our GC systems. When learning about the detector, one person told us that, to get our detector to work "properly", we would need a higher purity (i.e. 99.9%) for our air/H2 supplies than what we currently use for our FIDs (i.e. 99.8%). Is this true? Does a 0.1% increase in gas purity be that critical to a PFPD? Or is this some sort of undocumented belief?
Thank you for your help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Paul on Tuesday, April 9, 2002 - 07:32 am:

Mike
I have recently implemented a Varian 3800GC and P-FPD set in Sulphur mode. We have always used >99.9% gases. All I can say is that I have not experienced any background/noise issues using the purer gases. You could do worse than ask Varian themselves to explain the potential problems of using a slightly less 'pure' supply.
Paul

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.