Curiosity killed the cat etc

Chromatography Forum: GC Archives: Curiosity killed the cat etc
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Will on Wednesday, April 10, 2002 - 01:23 am:

Hi Folks, I apologise for posting such a trivial question, but I would like to know how GC columns are made. I am intreagued as to how the stationary phase gets into the capilliary etc.

All the best,

Will

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By David McCalley on Wednesday, April 10, 2002 - 04:04 am:

The tubing may first be deactivated in some way eg by acid rinsing to remove metals, and by silylation to react free -SiOH groups on the surface. These procedures are less critical than on the old Pyrex glass columns which contained considerably higher concentrations of both. Both metals and silanols can lead to poor peak shapes.

The columns are generally coated by the "static procedure" . Here, the column is completely filled with a dilute solution of the stationary phase in a volatile solvent (eg pentane for non-polar phases). The column is plugged at one end without introducing air (easier said than done!). It is then evacuated from the other, leaving a thin film of the phase on the walls of the column as the solvent evaporates.

There are many variations on this theme used by different manufacturers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Will on Wednesday, April 10, 2002 - 07:27 am:

Thanks David, I guessed it was something
like that.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.