FID response - use of carbon factors

Chromatography Forum: GC Archives: FID response - use of carbon factors
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Bob F on Monday, August 23, 1999 - 08:32 am:

Does any one know of a formula for calculating rough response factors using a compunds carbon number when an isolated compound is not available?
A colleague remembers seeing one in a research paper several years ago which took into account the number and nature of heteroatoms present and their effect on the FID response.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By J.Gandhi on Tuesday, September 14, 1999 - 11:07 am:

If you provide me your e-mail address, I will be able to forward you (*.txt) file for commonly used carbon factors.
Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By William Joyce on Monday, September 20, 1999 - 09:14 am:

See Jorgensen, Stamoudia, Anal. Chem 1990, 62, 683-689

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By V Cornejo on Wednesday, October 13, 1999 - 07:32 am:

I am interested in the identification of the C6,C7 and C8 isomers in natural gas. We are running an isothermic multidimentional analysis performed in a GC HP 6890 with a TCD and FID. How could I do for the identification of isomers in the gas? Which is the response factor usually used for the isomers?
What is the usual technique for this determinations?
Thank you very much.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Doug Janson on Friday, October 15, 1999 - 11:46 am:

Bob F. - There is an ASTM method that contains the equation for calculating theoretical response factors for an FID based on the ratio of carbon to hydrogen molecules. This method, D5443, also includes a table of theoretical response factors for several classes of hydrocarbons. I used methane as the theoretical reference compound when I wrote this method, other hydrocarbons could also be used. Send me your email address and I will email you the equation.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Bruce Freeman on Thursday, October 21, 1999 - 08:58 am:

See T.Holm, J. chromatogr. A, 842 (1999) 221-227, especially table 3 on p 227.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.