DIMETHYLSULPHOXIDE

Chromatography Forum: GC Archives: DIMETHYLSULPHOXIDE
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By pds on Thursday, October 17, 2002 - 08:28 pm:

I'm using the said solvent for GC analysis. I'm observing the formationan unkown impurity eluting at retention time of methanol in G43 stationary phase column, when this solevnt is exposed to air.

Do anybody faced the similar experiences.

Grade is a spectroscopic grade.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Anonymous on Friday, October 18, 2002 - 05:42 am:

yes, when exposed to water and air, artifacts are formed with DMSO. You should see DMS DMDS and other peaks appear as well.

Use freshly distilled material for best results.

Anon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By pds on Friday, October 18, 2002 - 10:40 pm:

How to avoid the formation. Can you help.

We is meant by artifacts

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Anonymous on Friday, October 18, 2002 - 10:45 pm:

How to avoid the formation. Can you help.

What is meant by artifacts

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Anonymous on Saturday, October 19, 2002 - 12:15 am:

do anybody know about any stabilizers can be added to avoid such formations.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Anonymous on Saturday, October 19, 2002 - 08:17 pm:

If I remember correctly the DMS elutes near or coelutes with Methanol, dimethylsulfide=DMS.
Oxidation-Reduction reactions take place. I do not know of a good stabilizer.

It is easy enough to heat and react DMSO and see the peaks being generated by human intervention (artifacts) for yourself to note and discover their composition. Good luck.

Anon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By pds on Monday, October 21, 2002 - 06:59 am:

thanks for the help

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Anonymous on Monday, October 21, 2002 - 07:35 am:

It is also important to remember that DMSO is very efficient at absorbing organics from air. If you have organic vapors in the air you will see the organics in the DMSO. If you have methanol in the air in the same room with DMSO in a container that is not well sealed you will have methanol in the DMSO.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By deST on Monday, October 21, 2002 - 09:02 am:

Dear Friend,

If the artifactual peak do not eluate with some peak of your interest what is the problem? Do you analyse MeOH?

I have an artifactual DMSO peak but it is not intererent in my analysis.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By pds on Monday, October 21, 2002 - 08:00 pm:

I have to perform the LOD/LOQ for the methanol and getting upto 100 to 400 ppm of methanol content varying in the blank (DMSO) injections.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Anonymous on Tuesday, October 22, 2002 - 05:37 am:

Are You certain it is methanol? Or is it another analyte that elutes at the same time as methanol?

Heat(warm) the DMSO to remove any methanol before use. That is one trick I learned in my 25 yrs in analytical chemistry.

Anon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Anonymous on Thursday, October 24, 2002 - 02:14 am:

Thanks.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.