GC Internal Calibration

Chromatography Forum: GC Archives: GC Internal Calibration
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Anonymous on Wednesday, November 6, 2002 - 05:27 pm:

Hello,

I am a student, learning and working on a Varian GC. I was given the task to calibrate our new GC in the lab. Can anyone please advice on the suitable internal standard that I should use if I am interested in C12-C18 fatty alcohol?

Thanks in advance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Anonymous on Wednesday, November 6, 2002 - 11:37 pm:

An internal standard should be a substance wich is chemically alike to the anlytes you want to quantify. So using an alcohol (C8 or C10) would be a good starting point

Gilbert Staepels

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Anonymous on Friday, November 8, 2002 - 12:22 pm:

Actually, I would use tridecanol or pentadecanol, obtainable from aldrich in quite pure form. I usually make trimethylsilyl derivatives of the fatty alcohols to improve peak shape also.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By jimmy pendergrass on Thursday, January 30, 2003 - 01:18 pm:

getting started using gc/ms to quantitate steroid hormones in plasma; looking for class offering wet lab for hands-on training w/internal std calibration using deuterated std's (isotope dilution mass spectrometry. if anyone knows where such training is available, please let me know. thanx.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Rodney on Friday, January 31, 2003 - 11:42 am:

For an analysis that is more sensitive to branched chains I would use an acetate derivative instead of the TMS ether. Both may be adequate but if branched chains are to be separated then I would make acetates. In the 1980s when I changed this analysis my std went from 99% to 94% in purity. If you want the same carbon number alcohols to elute together, then use the TMS ether.

Rodney George

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password: