2,3-butanediol

Chromatography Forum: GC Archives: 2,3-butanediol
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Jadranka on Tuesday, August 31, 1999 - 03:00 am:

I have to detect 2,3- butanediol in wine sample.
I have HP-INNOWAX COLUMN(30m X 0,25mm X 0,25mm) and GC with electron ionisation
detector.
Does someone know method for sample cleaning, or where I can read something about It.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Molever on Tuesday, August 31, 1999 - 06:26 am:

In my laboratory we ROUTINELY, easily assay for materials such as this (propylene glycol, glycerine, butanediol, sorbitol) by GC by dissolving sample in N,N-dimethylformamide (up to 2.5% sample in DMF) then mixing two parts sample with one part BSTFA derivatizing agent and assaying by methyl silicone capillary column connected to FID. These types of materials can all be quantitated in one run, and even trace levels can be quantitated, using either internal or external standard. I have published two papers on this in JAOCS, first one in 1982.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Nitin Nimkar on Wednesday, September 29, 1999 - 03:05 am:

Jadranka,
Are you talking about Electron capture detector or Flame ionisation detector?
polyols are best analysed on FID. I was working on polyols cracking and used to analyse the products by derivatisation with acetic anhydride with a microliter catalyst like perchloric acid. you can do this analysis on packed methyl silicone column rather than capillary. the cleaning is not required. Fill the liner with silanised glass wool.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Jadranka on Monday, October 4, 1999 - 02:28 am:

I am talking abut EID(electron ionisation detector - MS detector with mass range 10:425).
I heard for derivatisation method but I would like to avoid it.
Some of my colleague finds method in which 2,3-butanediol is extracted with Chloroform.
(I do not have original references)
About packed column, I do not have possibility for changing my capillary column.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.