Best system for H2, CO2 separation

Chromatography Forum: GC Archives: Best system for H2, CO2 separation
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By branco on Thursday, January 2, 2003 - 06:47 pm:

I need to separate H2, CO, CO2, CH4, Air and Argon. What is the best system available? I'm currently using Carboxen PLOT-1006 but it cannot separate H2.

Also, would GC result be distorted if operating under vacuum?

Thnx

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Rodney on Thursday, January 2, 2003 - 07:43 pm:

If you are using a Mass Spec try connecting a 10 to 30 meter 0.10 to 0.20mm ID FSOT column or tubing to the Carboxen PLOT and place the other end into the detector instead of the Carboxen 1006 column. That may separate H2 from air. IF that does not work, to separate H2 you may have to use a packed column.

Do you have to use a capillary FSOT column, or can you use a micropacked column?

A 200 cm 1/16" OD 0.030" ID SS Carboxen 1004 column will perform the separation you desire.

A packing closure which prevents particles from entering a MS is available.

Email me if you have any questions.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By branco on Thursday, January 2, 2003 - 10:48 pm:

Following up on the discussed issue, I have the following queries:

1) Iím only a beginner in GC, so, that FSOT you mentioned, you meant fused silica?
2) Iím using GC-FID/TCD, no MS unfortunately.
3) My technician told me that I can switch from capillary column to packed column with an adapter. So I can use Carboxen 1004, but is a 2m column enough to do the separation?
4) Can a Carboxen PLOT 1010 do the same trick?

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password: