GC Settings (Varian 1400)

Chromatography Forum: GC Archives: GC Settings (Varian 1400)
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Berker Ficicilar on Tuesday, January 28, 2003 - 11:07 pm:

I am using an old GC (Varian 1400) and i would like to know its settings for online analysis. I have a Porapak Q column and GC will be used for CO2 and water vapor analysis. However, i couldn't decide column oven temperature, TCD detector temperature.Furthermore, i don't know the optimum flowrate for carrier gas (i use Helium).There are reference and column flowrates. How can i adjust these 4 parameters for better analysis? I would be appreciated, if anyone can help me

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Rodney on Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 06:36 am:

Mr. Ficicilar

You have some room to find the optimum conditions for your GC and column.

Assuming you have a 2mm ID column (glass or steel) and a 80/100 or 60/80 mesh Porapak Q packing I would suggest an oven temperature of 80 to 150C and a flow rate of 20 to 40 mL per minute. Double the flow if you have 4mm ID columns.

Your detector should be between 150C to 250C, depending upon sensitivity required. A slower carrier flow rate will increase sensitivity. A faster flow rate will sharpen the eluting peaks.

Reference flow should be at least half of column flow and not more than twice column flow for optimum results.

Please feel free to call Supelco Technical service (800-359-3041) or me to discuss if needed.

Rodney George
Senior Research and Development Chemist
Gas Separations Research
Supelco
595 North Harrison Road
Bellefonte, PA 16823

814-359-5737 voice
814-359-5702 fax
rgeorge@sial.com

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password: