Shelf life of capillary columns?

Chromatography Forum: GC Archives: Shelf life of capillary columns?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Anonymous on Monday, April 7, 2003 - 12:35 pm:

All-

Do most capillary columns have a shelf life? We have several in our lab (mostly FFAP, InnoWax, and HP-5) that have been around since 1995-1998. I can track a reliable use history for them and I know they have not been abused but I'm not sure I feel comfortable using them for any method development work as they may not act the same as a "new" column. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Jeff

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Anonymous on Monday, April 7, 2003 - 12:58 pm:

Generally, for "important" method development work, I start with a brand new column. Once the method is developed, I usually will validate the method with the older column as well. A lot depends on what your lab budget is for consummables!

Regards,

Chris

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Mark Owens on Tuesday, April 8, 2003 - 07:24 am:

Jeff,
To add to your comfort level maybe you could evaluate the columns using one of the test mixes that are available for cap columns. Some of these mixes seem to challange the columns fairly well and should be a good measure of their performance.
Regards,
Mark

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Anonymous on Tuesday, April 8, 2003 - 04:43 pm:

Thanks for the advice folks. We have a rather limited budget in our lab so maybe I'll try the column mfr to see if I can obtain some type of test mix.

-Jeff

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Anonymous on Tuesday, April 8, 2003 - 11:05 pm:

Test mixes are available at Alltech Associates. I use these mixes to test the column for their performance.
Regards,
Gilbert

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password: