1,1,2-trifluroro 2,2,1-trichloroethane query

Chromatography Forum: GC Archives: 1,1,2-trifluroro 2,2,1-trichloroethane query
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By bill tindall on Sunday, June 15, 2003 - 06:11 am:

What is 1,1,2-trifluroro 2,2,1-trichloroethane used for? A local teacher received several gallons of this stuff as part of a donation. I am trying to find it a home. I suspect it would be great for degreasing an engine, but I also suspect it may have more valuable uses.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Ralph on Monday, June 16, 2003 - 02:19 am:

I used to analyse for it as one of a series of aerosol can propellants. It has trade names of ICI Arcton F113 and DuPont Freon. It may well be one of the ozone depleting ones, which are now banned.

Regards,

Ralph

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Anonymous on Monday, June 16, 2003 - 08:55 am:

The donation was a self serving one. Disposal costs for this are quite excessive. I would give it back. Good luck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Anonymous on Wednesday, June 18, 2003 - 01:19 pm:

Seems like a strange donation. What was the intended purpose of the donation? I think I used to use this for oil and grease extractions when I worked in an environmental lab, but I think the procedure may have been modified by now. There are a number of uses for chlorinated solvent in a chemistry lab, but I couldn't see this in a high school class.

I'm sure it would work good for degreasing an engine, but there may be some toxicity issues(use with good ventilation), and it is probably illegal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Anonymous on Thursday, June 19, 2003 - 05:03 am:

check with an airconditioning firm in your area and see if they have any use for it. New products of this sort are extremely expensive due to the changes in the laws of most countries in recent years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Ron on Thursday, June 19, 2003 - 07:03 am:

This was used for oil and grease extractions for years, but is no longer used because of the ozone depleting characteristics of the compound. I'm not sure it is legal to even use this for the application any more, but I am sure it has no legitimate use in a high school lab.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Russ on Friday, June 20, 2003 - 06:41 am:

I am wondering if this was a legal way for the donor to dispose of it. Costs for waste disposal of chlorinated compounds can be high.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By bill on Friday, June 20, 2003 - 06:36 pm:

thanks to all. The "oil and grease " analysis was what I was lookin for. I figured it had some common use, at least at some time. I'll bet it was(is) costly.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password: