Headspace Sampler

Chromatography Forum: GC Archives: Headspace Sampler
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Anonymous on Tuesday, July 1, 2003 - 09:44 pm:

Dear forum members,

We are planning to buy a Head space sampler for our Agilent 6890 GC. Can anybody suggest me which is the best - Gerstel MPS liquid handler or the Headspace sampler supplied by agilent. Your feed back is verymuch required as I have to justify which is the best.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Anonymous on Wednesday, July 2, 2003 - 12:33 am:

for enlarging your possibilities of choice look at this two sites:
www.danispa.it
www.ctc.ch
good luck

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Ralph on Thursday, July 3, 2003 - 06:13 am:

The choice is made more difficult because the Agilent 7694 is a dynamic sampler compared to the Gerstel which is a static sampler.

An advantage of the 7694 is that you can easily move it around different instruments.

The advantage of the Gerstel MP (made by CTC -Atas sell it as the Focus and Varian as the Combipal) is the fexibility to use it as a liquid sampler, a static gas syringe headspace sampler and SPME of both headspace and liquids.

We have both - it depends on whether you would also need to purchase a liquid autosampler or is the instrument intended as a dedicated headspace one. If not then overall the added flexibility of the Gerstel might lean you towards it. I have been impressed by ease of changing from one mode to the other on the CTC autosampler.

Regards,

Ralph

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Anonymous on Friday, July 4, 2003 - 09:51 pm:

Thanks Ralph,

I want to use the system for headspace and liquid sampling. Basically I want to know is there any sensitivity difference between both the samplers. I want to go for the best easy to operate and good results. Pl. suggest me the best with your vast experience in all the above.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Ralph on Sunday, July 6, 2003 - 09:26 am:

Hi,
First, the experience of the members of the forum who submit replies is what is vast, my experience just complements others.

It depends on how much sensitivity you really need. The 7694 will transfer more headspace to your GC. If sensitivity is an issue you may need to think about purge and trap headspace (or configuring a 7694 to give a longer sweep of the headspace). If you can't afford separate headspace and liquid samplers the the CTC might be better for you. Both are easy to operate and give good results.

Is it possible to submit some typical samples to, say, Agilent and get them to do a comparison for you?

Regards,

Ralph

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By c4wise on Wednesday, November 5, 2003 - 06:22 am:

If anyone is interested, I have a 7694 headspace sampler for sale. It is in excellent condition. It comes with spare parts and the cable to connect it to the 6890. It you need pictures let me know. I am asking 15,000$. c4wise@cpurity.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Anonymous on Monday, November 10, 2003 - 08:07 am:

Perkin Elmer and Varian both make excellent HS units, not to suggest the ones previously listed are inadequate.

The Perkin Elmer units are exceptional in the low carry over from one sample to another.

The best unit depends upon the range and difficulty of the analytes and matrices with which you will be dealing.

Taste and see is my suggestion. Demos are a good thing.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password: