GC is applicable to how many compounds?

Chromatography Forum: GC Archives: GC is applicable to how many compounds?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By John treacy on Wednesday, July 2, 2003 - 03:04 am:

I've been preparing a justification for the purchase of a new GC/MS. In the proposal I made the remark "GC is applicable to the analysis of probably in excess of 2.5 million organic compounds". Obviously this is just a gut feeling estimate. I'd appreciate it if anyone had any views on the subject or had a better guess.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Anonymous on Wednesday, July 2, 2003 - 08:00 am:

Make sure to tell management that it is applicable to the compounds of interest to support your company's current and future products, and profits.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Les on Wednesday, July 2, 2003 - 09:33 am:

If you are lucky/unlucky enough to be part of the petroleum industry, you'll not need justify your GC/MS...EPA does that for us!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Anonymous on Wednesday, July 2, 2003 - 05:05 pm:

GC/MS, while not the optimum technique for certain types of organic compounds, is the most versatile analytical technique. For example, you can introduce samples as gas, liquid or from a spme fiber. Because of the potential of derivatization, many classes of comounds can be analyzed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Anonymous on Thursday, July 3, 2003 - 08:26 am:

If you are in the pharma field, you should go for LC-MS. In the environmental field or volatile food ingradients, you should go for GC-MS.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By John on Friday, July 4, 2003 - 03:19 am:

We're in the medical devices business so we have a pretty varied set of applications. Having said that, the analysis of small molecules from polymers is mainly what I'm involved in. We currently have an old (15years) Hewlett Packard GC/MS which is relatively insensitive and laterally prone to a great deal of interference from air peaks. I'd like to upgrade it to a more modern MSD which should have more sensitivity for trace analyses, better automation and have more extensive libraries.
We're looking at an Agilent system - does anyone have any recommendations for any other systems.
Thanks to everyone for their comments!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Anonymous on Wednesday, July 9, 2003 - 05:31 am:

John,

I personally like the PerkinElmer Turbomass Gold for my GC/MS choice. We were having co-elution problems with several components on our old system. We talked to PerkinElmer and they came through with an Arnel engineered application. Our current system is a gas switching valved system that has the ability to run gas samples or liquid samples. We also have the ability of switching from a FID (flame ionization detector) to the MS when an unknown compound arises.

PerkinElmer is my choice (www.perkinelmer.com or www.arnelinc.com).

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password: