Estimating Fatty acids from microbiological samples

Chromatography Forum: GC Archives: Estimating Fatty acids from microbiological samples
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By vijaya_kamat on Tuesday, July 15, 2003 - 04:01 am:

Hi,
The method I would be following is FAME by GC. I have tried to get relevant references for the similar kind of samples. Still not found a satisfactory extraction procedure from broth.Any work done on these types of samples? Please help.
V

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Anonymous on Tuesday, July 15, 2003 - 04:07 pm:

I have done this type of extraction by partitioning the broth against chloroform and methanol such that the proportions are 8:4:3 chloroform:methanol:broth (Folch method). Reduce the organic phase, transmethylate the recovered lipids for a total fatty acid profile. Or separate the lipid classes (TLC or SPE) and methylate the ones you are interested in.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By vijaya kamat on Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 11:51 pm:

Hi,
Could you me the details of FA you have estimated and the step wise procedure? Any particular reference available which could help me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Anonymous on Thursday, July 17, 2003 - 10:05 am:

Unfortunately, my method is not published. I assumed you had some basic knowledge of lipid analysis. I'm afraid it is beyond the scope of this forum to give detailed protocols, but the methods I described are very basic and can be found in any general book on lipid analysis. Try sources by W.W.Christie.

By the way, I forgot to add that I used an ultrasonic dismembrator on the broth before extracting the lipids. Good luck.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password: