Ink analysis

Chromatography Forum: GC Archives: Ink analysis
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Mike on Thursday, July 17, 2003 - 09:23 am:

I have some samples of solvent based printing ink. The solvent smells like toluene, I don't know much else about them.

Our application is that we make filler products for paper. Some of the ink components bleed throught the paper differently. We want to set up some experiments where we pass the ink through a layer of our filler material and analyze what is held up in the filler, ie which components are reduced in peak area compared to the raw ink.

So, my question is this. I am somewhat hesitant to crap up a nice GC system with this ink. Are my fears unfounded? Are there any other methods used for ink analysis, TLC, centrifugal chromatography? Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Anonymous on Thursday, July 17, 2003 - 11:59 am:

I would use column chromatography (gravity feed) with clear glass columns (a pipette will work) to see how the dyes separate. Twsett did this for biologicals in 1908 and it is still a usable idea.

Use your filler material (ground up) as the support and wash ink thorough it with a suitable solvent.

You can then take out portions of the support and examine and even extract the dyes if needed.

You could also do paper TLC chromatography with the ink dyes to see how they migrate.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Mike on Friday, July 18, 2003 - 05:14 am:

Paper TLC on the ink samples sounds like where I want to start. I have no experience with the technique,is there a good source of information out there you would recommend?

Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Anonymous on Friday, July 18, 2003 - 05:56 am:

See Egon Stahl's classic book on TLC

from Anonymous on Thursday, July 17, 2003 - 11:59 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Anonymous on Tuesday, July 22, 2003 - 04:40 am:

I like the column idea above - you can do it on a small scale with Pasteur pipettes

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Rich Malcolm on Wednesday, July 23, 2003 - 09:52 am:

I use GC for analysing solvents in printing inks. I use a combination of Resteks cyclosplitter inlet liner and a guard column to protect the analytical column.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password: