Wax Type Column Stability

Chromatography Forum: GC Archives: Wax Type Column Stability
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Anonymous on Tuesday, August 26, 2003 - 06:28 am:

Does anyone keep their WAX type columns isothermally at 150degC and above?

If so how stable is it (in terms of retention) over time?

I am looking for it to share an oven with a packed column operating constantly at 175degC.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Anonymous on Tuesday, August 26, 2003 - 08:34 am:

For one, use great oxygen traps. Use a stabilized wax column, don't get cheap. I'll assume wax column is installed in the rear so simply removing it after use isn't as straightforward.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Anonymous on Tuesday, August 26, 2003 - 12:32 pm:

From experience and quite hard use, Carbowax columns from two major suppliers would last 6mo to a year at that temperature.

Water samples were repeatedly injected over this time at 40C and brought up to 180C and held for 30 min.

I hope this is helpful.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password: