Fatty acid analysis by GC

Chromatography Forum: GC Archives: Fatty acid analysis by GC
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Achrekar on Saturday, September 20, 2003 - 03:59 am:

While preparing sililating darivative, adding 1 ml to 10 mg FA and injecting onto DB23, BP1 & DB1 capillary columns of J & W gives lots of tailing & the peaks are not sharp and comparable to methyl esters of fatty acids prepared by using methanol & thionyl chloride. please advise

I would also like to know what is the accuracy of internal standard method

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Anonymous on Tuesday, September 23, 2003 - 10:00 am:

I'd abandon the silation and use methyl esters.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Anonymous on Wednesday, September 24, 2003 - 08:00 am:

You can do free fatty acids on FFAP phases and get excellent peak shapes. We use a ZB-FFAP routinely. It is less sensitive than FAMEs and so on - but if you don't need the sensitivity why not go for the least complicated option?
John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Soap Guy on Wednesday, September 24, 2003 - 11:10 am:

I work for soap company - we usually make fatty acid methyl esters (boron trifluoride-methanol or sulfuric acid -methanol), but have also used TMS derivatization. What exactly are you trying to do?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Anonymous on Friday, September 26, 2003 - 01:44 am:

From your description it sounds like you are not silylating your fatty acids.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Soap Guy on Friday, September 26, 2003 - 12:00 pm:

We use BSTFA to derivatize for trimethylsilyl derivatives.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password: