Which one is better?

Chromatography Forum: GC Archives: Which one is better?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Anonymous on Tuesday, December 30, 2003 - 07:25 am:

Dear all,

Our lab is planning to buy a new GC/MS system.
Is Perkin-Elmer's system a better choice then HP?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Anonymous on Tuesday, December 30, 2003 - 11:10 am:

I've run both and definitely prefer HP. However since HP became Agilent, their service went downhill.

Currently I have two HP5890s with 5972 MSDs. They are great instruments - the classic workhorse GCMS, but anything I can't fix myself I contract out to a third party.

Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Anonymous on Tuesday, December 30, 2003 - 12:25 pm:

Mike,

Service went downhill? What region are you located?

Steve

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Anonymous on Tuesday, December 30, 2003 - 12:51 pm:

East Coast. I was in GA when HP became Agilent, I am now in MD.

For the past five years I've been running these older used instruments, so I can't say that things haven't improved.

Then again, I used to have a couple PE GCs and service was pretty good, then they downsized, and service went downhill, so I guess it's hard to say and may depend on your location.

Anyhow, I think I do like the HPs better.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Anonymous2 on Tuesday, December 30, 2003 - 02:19 pm:

We have seven HP 5890 and 6890 GCs, including two with MSDs, and five 1050s and 1100s. These are very reliable, extremely high up-time. We also get excellent Agilent service, this is why we only have Agilent chromatography systems here. We're in Arizona; Agilent service (even though you don't often need it) is not cheap, but neither is third-party.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Anonymous on Tuesday, December 30, 2003 - 07:44 pm:

Dear all,

Thanks for all the information.
In fact, I am in Hong Kong and I have been using PE's ICP/MS for years. Their support is quite good here but I can see they are downsizing also.

Does anyone have more comments?

thanks again

WS LAM

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By mgoodwin on Wednesday, December 31, 2003 - 06:06 am:

I've used the PE Autosystem XL GC-FID, HP 5890/5792 GC/MS and the Agilent 6890/5973N GC/MS. I can't compare HP MSD to PE MSD, but the GC's are both good reliable systems.

Although the 5890/5972 series is a steady workhorse, the 6890/5973N series did have a computer network problem. Occasionally, the 5973N MSD software would freeze up and the whole system would need rebooting (meaning your overnight autosampler sequence didn't get run). This was year 2000 and perhaps they have solved that problem by now.

Though I like both PE turbochrom and HP's Chemstation, I know many chromatographers prefer Chemstation and Agilent systems (though Agilent tends to be more expensive).

I work in the VA/DC/MD area and find both service engineers to be superb.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password: