Hydrogen Generators for FIDs

Chromatography Forum: GC Archives: Hydrogen Generators for FIDs
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Anonymous on Wednesday, January 7, 2004 - 06:03 am:

How good are these now?
Do they break down often?
Are they worth the initial outlay?
I have 8 FIDs in the lab at approx. 50ml/min each and use cylinders which cost $2800 - $3200 per year.
I was looking at air products initially.

Thanks for your replies.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By ves on Wednesday, January 7, 2004 - 06:57 am:

Dominick/Hunter can be bought through Fisher Scientific. I have one that delivers 250 ml/min and seems to work ok. Tech support is informative and helpful. They don't leave you danglling.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Anonymous on Wednesday, January 7, 2004 - 07:52 am:

We had a hydrogen generator and have resorted to cylinders purely because every now and again you have to replace the deionisers and top up the water. The generator just cuts out and bleeps at you when this happens. There is no way of anticipating when this will happen either, more importantly. It did tend to happen at night when we had 2 important runs on as luck would have it. At least with cylinders you can tell when you're about to run out of gas.
Regards
John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Anonymous on Wednesday, January 7, 2004 - 08:17 am:

Of course, one can have a small switching cylinder automatically go on-line when the pressure drops because the hydrogen generator quits for some reason. That will get you through the night and still reduces costs and improve safety overall.

No I don't work for a company who might sell such things.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Anonymous on Wednesday, January 7, 2004 - 08:49 am:

That's a good idea. Never thought of that. We didn't find the generator cost effective though purely because the loss of a couple of runs was enough to over-ride the savings on cylinders. Can't argue with the safety issues either though.
John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Anonymous on Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 03:29 am:

We have not the best experience with H2 generators: 1 generator 4 X defective...in 2 years

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Anonymous on Wednesday, January 28, 2004 - 05:42 am:

We have been using the H2 generator since 1982 though we have been changing a few models and we still find they are quite reliable and reduce the trouble of changing cylinders. Cost...well, I think it is almost break event against using gas cylinders, of course after many years.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password: