Determination of acetone(ppb levels) in HCl

Chromatography Forum: GC Archives: Determination of acetone(ppb levels) in HCl
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Michele Williams on Thursday, January 15, 2004 - 11:43 am:

I need to analyze aqueous HCl (32%) and anhydrous HCl for low levels of acetone. I have several GC's and can order any type of column I need. I have TCD, FID, MS and ECD detectors. I do not have access to a purge and trap GC nor do I have an LC. Does anyone have a suggestion?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Anonymous on Friday, January 16, 2004 - 07:02 am:

If you don't have purge and trap then it is possibly an application for solid-phase microextraction onto a silicone-coated fibre. Rinse the fibre in water and "inject" into a conventional GC inlet.

Might be better than purge and trap - where are those corrosive acid gases going ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Consumer Products Guy on Friday, January 16, 2004 - 08:44 am:

Michele - I "gots" to know: why is there need for this, how might acetone get into the HCl?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Rodney on Friday, January 16, 2004 - 09:06 am:

Use a simple headspace analyzer method and a FFAP capillary column. I would suggest a Nickel transfer line or a deactivated SS transfer line.

Heat for 10 min. at 60C. OR

Use a Carboxen coated SPME fiber if you want to go cheap and quick. This will work fine, but for strict reproducibility requirements ( ie FDA or EPA - US Gov requirements) use an automated HS analyzer.

Rodney George
Senior Research and Development Scientist
Gas Separations Research
Supelco
595 North Harrison Road
Bellefonte, PA 16823

814-359-5737 voice
814-359-5459 fax
rgeorge@sial.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Anonymous on Sunday, January 18, 2004 - 10:38 pm:

Maybe you can add dil NaOH to neutralize HCl, get NaCl and then determine acetone by Headspace.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password: