GC-MS-which instrument?

Chromatography Forum: GC Archives: GC-MS-which instrument?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Anonymous on Monday, January 19, 2004 - 01:23 am:

We are in the market for a GC-MS. We have GC experience but little GC-MS. We currently favour an ion trap instrument, being more interested in MS/MS than outright sensitivity or speed of analysis.
Are there any reviews on the subject recently published?
Would someone advise us on any potential pitfalls. The instrument will be used for a range of tasks rather than being dedicated for one purpose.
Can anyone recommend a cold on column injection system? as I suspect some of our samples will need this method of sample injection.
Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Edelvio de Barros Gomes on Friday, June 25, 2004 - 10:24 am:

I have experience in GC analysis but little in GC MS. My equipment is SHIMADZU QP5050.
What is the detector of GC? is it TCD?
Why do EPA 8270 refer to the detector as MSD?
It is not clear to me if the detector of GC is the same MSD or if it is a particular TCD detector. Please, I need an answer!!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By ingochrist on Tuesday, June 29, 2004 - 08:18 am:

Dear Sir,

What applications do you intend to use the MS for? If you prefer a triplequad (sorry, never used a trap, yet), typical advantages are in sensitivity and high throughput (less chromatography, since you can monitor specific ions in the second quad). But I find that can do most tasks with a single quad just as well, since I really know how to use it, while the triplequad takes more time to set up a method. My focus is typically on the sample prep (which is cheaper), so that I don't need the additional power on the detector end.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By ced on Tuesday, June 29, 2004 - 12:14 pm:

HI
I used two hp5973 ms,single quad,and one polaris q,ion trap.
The quadrupole are more robust,and more sensitive in sim mode with low m/z .
The ion trap,becomes faster dirty,are more sensitive in full scan,and in high m/z...and the advantages of ms^n..

If you need ms/ms the trap is ideal,but if your matrix are dirty,you'll need often to clean your trap.
If you need to analyse 30/50 dirty sample each day,the quad is the best solution,and the more sensitive.

I have some comparison from manufacturers in pdf,send me an email ...

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password: