PCB GC analysis help

Chromatography Forum: GC Archives: PCB GC analysis help
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Anonymous on Monday, February 16, 2004 - 10:51 am:

Can anyone relay me any hints about differentiating between PCBs (i.e. Aroclors 1248/1260 and Aroclors 1242/1254)?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Anonymous on Tuesday, February 17, 2004 - 10:08 am:

This is a more specific addition to the initial message:

When identifying PCBs, I know that the "fingerprint" or pattern of the known should match the calibration PCB; but should the calculated value peaks in the alaclor be relatively close to each other?
i.e. if you are analyzing Alaclor 1248 and you get a positive hit and your 4 peak values are for example 0.210, 0.195, 0.227, and 0.187 (ug/L), can you positively say that this is Alaclor 1248 as opposed to getting values of 1.047, 0.0235, 0.578, and 0.147 ug/L?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Anonymous on Friday, May 14, 2004 - 12:45 pm:

PCBs found in nature will not obey the regular patterns of those found in standards, so yes, even with the varibility, you can identify it. Weathered PCBs are even worse. We calibrate six peaks and for justifiable reasons, will remove two peaks to get a more representative result for the PCB to report, but with the variability you have 1, .02, .6, and .1, I would suspect it is a different one of the PCBs or just contamination.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password: