Discrimination by compostion solvent

Chromatography Forum: GC Archives: Discrimination by compostion solvent
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Durk on Thursday, February 26, 2004 - 05:28 am:

Hello,

Who can explain the next phenomenom:

When I inject d-limonen (100 mg/L) dissolved in acetone with pulsed splitless technic a peak appears with an area of 6*10^7. When I inject d-limonen (100 mg/L) dissolved in ethanol/acetone (20/80) with the same injection technic a peak appears with an area of 2*10^5. The same is happening with n-dodecane which is eluting just before d-limonen. Injection takes place on a Solgel wax column and detection with MS.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Beppe on Thursday, February 26, 2004 - 11:47 pm:

I am not familiar with pulsed splitless. I used to work with regular splitless and I don't know if the same rules apply; in this mode, you can use either cold trapping or solvent effect to get your analytes trapped in the column while you are flushing the majority of the solvent out of the inlet. For Limonen and mentioned solvents, only solvent effect will work; I never worked with a mixture of solvents and I am not shure it is the best way; anyway, moving from one mixture to another can lead to unexpected results, as solvent effect is linked to a tricky combination of 3 parameters : column temperature, boiling point of the solvent and boiling point of the analytes.
Again, I am not shure these rules apply to pulsed splitless.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password: