GC problems when injecting tertiary amines

Chromatography Forum: GC Archives: GC problems when injecting tertiary amines
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Olof Johansson on Monday, October 25, 1999 - 04:18 am:

Unstable respons factor when I try to calculate the responsfactor using a six mebered ring consisting of five carbon and one nitrogen. The nitrogen also bounded to CH2CH2OH group and I use docosane as a internal std. The area of docosane is stabile but for this amine the area is varying so the respons factor is varying with several hundred percent.

anny suggestions??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Anonymous on Monday, October 25, 1999 - 05:28 am:

Your amine/alcohol is probably adsorbing and/or decomposing in the system. First try a clean/silanized injector insert. Then cut off about a meter of the front end of the column. Try lowering the injector temperature. Finally, try one of the specially deactivated columns such as Supelco's Carbowax-Amine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Anonymous on Monday, October 25, 1999 - 01:20 pm:

I'd venture that it's decomposing. Have your tried it on LC and seen the same/different results?
If you think it's adsorbing, you could try derivatizing it *depending on your detector* and then there won't be any free H's to adsorb!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.