Organic Solvent Separation Problem

Chromatography Forum: GC Archives: Organic Solvent Separation Problem
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Dan Issell on Wednesday, May 12, 2004 - 12:55 pm:

I am a new, very inexperienced gc analyst trying to come up with a method for analyzing an organic solvent profile with a RTX-VRX 60m capillary column. I am trying to separate acetone, benzene, butyl acetate,chlorobenzene,cyclohexanone,decane, 1,2-dichloroethane, ethyl acetate,heptane, hexane, isooctane,methyl ethyl ketone, methyl isobutyl ketone, methylene chloride, xylene,octane,pentane,perchloroethylene, tetrahydrofuran,toluene, 1,1,1-trichloroethane, trichloroethylene,and 1,2,4-trimethylbenzene. I am able to separate all the analytes except for the Methyl Ethyl Ketone and Hexane. I was hoping to find out if anyone know a good temperature program to separate the analytes with this column, or with a RTX-1 or RTX-5 column. I am very inexperienced so any guidance or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Anonymous on Thursday, May 13, 2004 - 01:15 am:

try rtx5..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Mike on Thursday, May 13, 2004 - 08:42 am:

One co-elution may be as good as you can get. RTX-VRX is custom-made to do a certain job, but not the one you want. On RTX-1 I think the two pairs 1,2-dichloroethane/THF and iso-octane/trichloroethylene will co-elute. I don't know about RTX-5. On 1701 phase MEK and 1,1,1-trichloroethane co-elute. The probability of no co-elutions of 20+ components of different polarity is low and can be calculated as a function of resolving power and n peaks randomly distributed, but I don't have the references. This is why you need GC-MS or two columns. Adjusting temperature ramps can help a tiny bit but not usually enough to waste time on it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Anonymous on Thursday, May 13, 2004 - 08:48 am:

Call Restek. The VRX is designed to be used with mass spec where most co-elutions are not as critical. The VGC column may give better results since it is designed to work with GC where the co-elutions are more critical.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password: