Electron Capture Detector

Chromatography Forum: GC Archives: Electron Capture Detector
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Ian on Monday, May 24, 2004 - 12:23 am:

We have identified a sample which contains fluorinated and chlorinated hydrocarbons. So far we have determined these compounds using either thermal desorption or headspace as sample introduction devices, followed by GC-MS. We believe an ECD may provide us with a more rapid, sensitive and selective analyses. The problem is that we have no experience with such a detector. I am aware of the detection mechanism of the detector, but if my mind serves me well, I remember reading about a new type of detector that does not operate with a radio active source. Any comments will be appreciated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Anonymous on Wednesday, May 26, 2004 - 08:21 am:

Ian,
Check with Valco for a pulse discharge detector. It can be operated in an electron capture mode and there is no radioactive source used. Web site is www.vici.com I do not work for them, just a very satisfied customer of that detector.
Regards,
Mark

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Anonymous on Wednesday, May 26, 2004 - 12:06 pm:

Is the PDD as sensitive as a micro ecd of agilent?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Anonymous on Thursday, May 27, 2004 - 07:45 am:

May 26 Anon,
Don't know, never used the Agilent detector but Valco might have a comparison. If not I would think they should have sensitivity numbers specs you could use to compare with Agilents numbers. Another nice feature is how fast ther detector recoversm from a large overload. Whereas a "normal" ECD can takes tens of minutes to hours sometimes the PDD will recover in just a few minutes.
Regards,
Mark

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Ed Chen on Sunday, July 11, 2004 - 12:57 am:

Some fluoro compounds will respond to the ECD while others do not-it could be very selective for some of your compounds

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password: