Determination of trace amount HCl in a gas form mixture

Chromatography Forum: GC Archives: Determination of trace amount HCl in a gas form mixture
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Kevin Zhang on Monday, May 31, 2004 - 01:23 pm:

I am looking for a GC determination method for trace amount of HCl in a gas form mixture. We have TCD, FID, ECD and PFPD. I am wondering which one is suitable for the task, and is there any developed method for that. Any comment will be appreciated!

Regards,

Kevin

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Anonymous on Thursday, June 3, 2004 - 02:19 am:

Trace HCl in a (inert ?)gas would normally be measured with real-time direct-reading instruments, or analyzing by ion chromatography a time-weighted sample collected on a sorbent tube, or even classical titration if the concentration was high enough.

I can't say for sure that quantitative GC is impossible, but in my opinion you would have to use unusual acidic phases/supports and even acid-doped carrier gas to prevent adsorption. Then there is the detector sensitivity problem. Sorry if this does not answer your question but there are better ways to analyze trace acid vapors.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password: