Vibration affect?

Chromatography Forum: GC Archives: Vibration affect?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Anonymous on Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 11:29 am:

I new into the field of chromatography. My problem is that my lab is located within a couple hundred feet from a railroad track. Each time a train comes by, my whole lab vibrate, including my GC/MS. Will the vibration cause any damage to my GC/MS and my result because I ran my GC/MS daily? Any common will be greatly appricated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Mike on Thursday, June 24, 2004 - 06:11 am:

Try it and find out but my initial thought would be Yes. The likely effect will be high pitched noise generated by the MS which you'll pick up on your chromatograms. Usually this can be associated with the diff pump or failing MS cooling fans causing vibrations. I assume as your whole labs vibrating the effect will be a lot worse. As regards to damaging your GCMS, they are particulally sensitive pieces of equipment!!!!!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password: