Chromic acid

Chromatography Forum: GC Archives: Chromic acid
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By linea on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 01:59 am:

Hi
I need a method to prepare chromic acid solution.
I need it in the method that i have to deactivate liners
thank you

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By anonymous on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 11:20 am:

Almost no one advocates the use of a chromic acid cleaning solution these days. It is highly toxic, corrosive and I've heard can create active sites on glassware. It is against my recommendation, but if you still want to make it, here is a recipe I used years ago: 100 ml saturated potassium dichromate to 2 L concentrated sulfuric acid.

Hopefully members of the forum will respond with suitable alternatives for you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By GC guy on Friday, August 13, 2004 - 04:39 am:

Back in the days at the university when we reused liners we would put the old liners in concentrated nitric acid for several days before deactivation. If you buy liners in large packages they are usually cheap enough that there is no need to try to reuse.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By chromatographer1 on Monday, August 16, 2004 - 06:40 am:

be aware of Chromium 6 hazards! you will be creating waste that will require special disposal, at least in the United States.

Ask the people in California that got cancers from chromium in their well water!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By elizabeth18 on Tuesday, August 17, 2004 - 07:35 am:

Just as a side note...chromic acid is a pain to mess with anyway...I used it for 5 years doing electrochemistry research, and that was some of the worst stuff I've worked with, and it is expensive to get rid of. I had holes in my clothes constantly, even when I didn't spill the acid on me. It seems to escape containers and will chew up just about anything.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password: