Suggestions for a New GC

Chromatography Forum: GC Archives: Suggestions for a New GC
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Russell on Wednesday, December 1, 1999 - 06:25 am:

Our old somewhat trusty Sigma 300 is showing its age w/ a loss of ECD sensitivity among other things. I am starting to investigate purchasing a new/used replacement. I only run PCB extractions, and only do this a few times a month. Hence, I am not looking for a high throughput (re: cost) instrument. Manual injection and pneumotics will be fine. Suggestions on manufacturers and an estimate on cost? Data will be captured on Millenium. TIA.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By John Hinshaw on Tuesday, December 7, 1999 - 07:35 am:

Russell,

Any major manufacturers' GC will do for you. The used instrument idea might be a good choice that would allow you to upgrade to a more recent system and still control cost. Since you're using the Millenium system now, you probably aren't interested in digital data acquisition and instrument control from a computer workstation: if you are, then you'll have to choose an instrument that Millenium can control directly.

As far as cost goes, the range can be from a few thousand dollars up to fifteen or eighteen thousand. It will depend on your methodology (packed vs. capillary columns), single or dual channel, new vs. used instrument, and the manufacturer. Contact some of them for quotations. For used instruments, search the web for "used laboratory equipment" to get an idea.

I would purchase a new instrument because you will receive the manufacturer's support, it will incorporate the latest technology, and you will have no doubts as to its performance and specifications. In the long run (5 years) a new instrument is a better investment.

John

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.