HELP *urgent* Separation of tar/nicotine from cigarettes

Chromatography Forum: GC Archives: HELP *urgent* Separation of tar/nicotine from cigarettes
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Kara on Saturday, January 22, 2000 - 07:55 pm:

I am in need of assistance on methods of separating tar and nicotine from cigarettes that still enable measurement of the materials. Preferably, I would like to stay away from the old "mechanical lung" method that has been widely adopted. If you have information that might be useful, please e-mail me at{Meerclar7@aol.com,Meerclar7@aol.com}{Meerclar7@aol.com,Meerclar7@aol.com}}.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Anonymous on Tuesday, January 25, 2000 - 09:15 pm:

I'm not sure if I understand the question. Are you looking for a way to get the tar and nicotine from the cigarette (and/or smoke), or are you looking for a way to analyze for either/both once you have them?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Kara on Sunday, January 30, 2000 - 08:48 pm:

I have learned from further research that nicotine can be separated from the tobacco mixture using methanol or silicotungstic acid. If anyone knows how to go about measuring and/or separating the substance using either of these agents, that's what I'm looking for.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Anonymous on Monday, January 31, 2000 - 05:09 am:

There are many references in the literature on the analysis of nicotine in urine and/or plasma by HPLC. You should be able to adapt one of these procedures without too much trouble.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.