Crime solving with chromatography

Chromatography Forum: Education Archives: Crime solving with chromatography
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Anonymous on Saturday, September 6, 2003 - 09:54 am:

plzs help me im 12 years old and doing chromatography in science but dont understand how to solve a vrime using it i need someone to explain it to me in simple terms please!?!?!?

thank you!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Chris Pohl on Saturday, September 6, 2003 - 04:12 pm:

I hope this is suitably basic:

Chromatography is nothing more than competition between molecules for a surface or a material. If we take the example of paper chromatography, when you place a drop of ink on the paper and then let a solution flow by capillary action pass the drop of ink, the molecules which are present in the ink will compete with the molecules in the solution for "sticky" sites in the paper. If the ink molecules have the highest attraction for the paper they will either stay in-place or else move very slowly as the solution moves upward. If molecules in the solution have the highest attraction for the paper and then the ink will move quickly forward along with the advancing solution since the ink molecules can't compete with the molecules in the solution for the "sticky" sites in the paper. If molecules in the solution and the ink molecules have similar attraction to the paper, the ink molecules will move more slowly but still move along rather than staying in their original location. If the ink molecules are a mixture of several different types of molecules which are different in color, you may find that some move more quickly than others. The color that moves the most slowly is consisits of molecules which compete best for "sticky" sites in the paper.

Let me know if you need a more basic explanation.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By mbg on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 08:40 am:

There are several applications of chromatography in crime solving. In general, a substance can be identified by the explanation above which provides the police with additional information about:
* whether or not a substance found is an illegal drug

* was a poison/alcohol present in a cadaver or driver of a vehicle.

* was an ignitable liquid present in a fire (arson)

* was a harmful-general substance detected in the evironment.

There are other applications as well should you need more discussion. However, judging from your urgency, I'd say this project was due last Monday.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By lime on Friday, September 12, 2003 - 03:11 am:

Hi !!
12 years old and chromatography ??
I have a story 4 u which goes :

There was a country and there was a king and his daughter in this country. One they the princess wanted to get married and told her father. The king said : I'll arrange a competition among the guys want 2 marry u. So, guys came and the king explained the competition to the guys : u r jumping into this river and if anyone succes coming to the rear of the river latest he will marry her.

The guys jumped and reached the rear of the river in different times. One of them succeed the stay in the river for the longest time. U know his name ? Chromatographyus ;)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Einar PontÚn - SeQuant AB on Friday, September 12, 2003 - 10:47 am:

"Japanese tourists model"

Let us suppose that Japanese people are quite foreign to you. So you have a little problem to diffrentiate between men and woman. Now, if you need to separate them from each other and you would like to have a gently and polite technique. What would you do?

Easy....

Just ask the tourist bus driver to stop right ahead a shopping street. Tell all passengers to walk along to the end of the street. Then walk yourself as quickly as you can to the end of the street and wait.

What category will reach the end of the street first?

The men!
Explanation: They are not very interested in window or real shopping. They will just walk along in the flow stream of people.

Thereafter the woman will "elute" in an order determined by their interest for;
1. shoes
2. clothes
3. Jewelry
4. shoes + clothes or jewelry
....and finally
5. shoes + clothes + jewelry

In conclusion, repeted interactions with "people" and the shops will give us separation in a flow stream of people walking along the street.

In a similar manner amphetamine and meta-amphetamine can be separated by chromatography in forensic analysis.

(Do I need to tell that I don't like shopping and would be a perfect to-marker)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Russ on Saturday, September 13, 2003 - 04:27 am:

You might also try:

http://www.itsjustabox.com

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password: